30 September 2014

RANT!! #TakeBackOurInternet

Today was an other day of Wack-a-mole with tracking down SPAM sources at work. This is not anything out of the norm for the last 3 months, it was the what was comprised that pissed me off.
The first server I took the hammer to was a server out of Brazil, It was trying to crack into the IMAP port on the work email server. This was fixed by a block rule in iptables, but that wasn't enough for me. I track down who own the IP address, it was a medical office in south central Brazil. These fuckers cracked a med server to spread SPAM! One side of me thinks about the loss of time and medical records that could happen and the doctors not able to do there jobs and help people because of this. The other thinks about what they could do selling those records, and if the didn't they are fools! *Lucky for me I lean on the side of the former and think about all the trouble this causes.*
So, like any good hacker I tried to shut down the VNC back door they installed. I think who ever compromised the server saw my attacks and shut the server down. So they just fucked that clinic! Talk about thinking only about your self!
So on top of this I find out that one of my Pod mates who is home schooling her kids can't today because of a DDOS on the home school web site she uses. WHY WOULD YOU DDOS A HOME SCHOOL SITE!?!? I sure it's a similar group to the ones who hand off SPAM to my work server day in and day out.
Of course I couldn't find shit on the attack on the home school site, so I couldn't help in blocking it.
This leads me to my rant, WHY do we need to sit back and let this happen? The tools are out there for even the lowest of tech able people to strike back at these bot nets and stop them from keeping us from our internet. But what stops them from doing this? I'm actually asking this. What do you think would help people fight back? The US Law system does shit for us, the FBI has JUST NOW opened a Malware reporting site that I'm sure will be less then effective. The anti-virus vendors help some, but that is only if you install their product, and that will cause it's own issues. So what is a KISS way to help people protect their systems, and if they want take an active role in fighting back?
I have personally have been reporting SPAM to www.spamcop.net. you just sign up for an account and they do all the work for you. If the network owner/server owner doesn't reply to the report they black list the IP. I also actively scan and do recon on servers and report new patterns here. When I find a server that is just SPAM, I take it down so it can't spread SPAM any more. *Note: I check all WHOIS reports and services on the server before doing this. If you want to do this too, please do you home work first. Don't be an ass and take down someone's work or home server.*
I want to start a movement here, I want to take back OUR INTERNET!
Leave your ideas in the comments and let me know what you think. I hope you can come up with something that can knock these bot nets on their asses and give the people who control them a run for their money.
TAKE BACK OUR INTERNET!!!
Repost this Blog and use #TakeBackOurInternet

No comments:

Post a Comment